Chia seeds really are a powerhouse food, full of omega-3s, potassium, fiber, calcium, iron, and are a complete protein. What more could you ask for in a tiny little seed? The fun thing about chia is when you put them in a liquid and let it sit for a while they plump up and have a tapioca like consistency.
What can you not do with chia? I mean seriously! The list could go on. I have compiled my top 10 favorite things to do with chia.
CHA-CHA-CHA-CHIA! (Yes I do say this every time I use chia…guilty).
1. I love to put a tablespoon in my smoothies, soups, and even on top of my salads.
2. I sneak it in to my cookies and other baked goodies or use it to make raw pie crusts like this one! .
3. I sprinkle it on top of some coconut yogurt or oatmeal or my favorite Pumpkin Coconut Granola or in my yummy Banana Roll-Ups.
4.Another favorite is to make what I like to call a “layered breakfast” with some overnight oats (½ cup GF Rolled Oats and ½ almond milk let sit in the refrigerator over night) layered with Chia pudding ( 3tbs chia seeds and 1 cup milk, let sit in the refrigerator overnight) and then layer in your favorite fruit/granola/nuts/seeds/spices/maple syrup/whatever. Have fun with it! Here is a link with some great step-by-step instructions for a basic vanilla chia pudding.
5. You can make this Chia Ja by simmering some frozen berries and chia in a sauce pan and cooling
6. Better-Than-Gatorade hydrating chia drink = 8oz coconut water + 1 Tbsp chia seeds. This is so great to have after a long run to replenish those electrolytes
7. Make energy bars with nuts, dates, chia, and hempseed.
9. Kombucha Chia Fresca! I LOVE this. I use my homebrewed kombucha (a great probiotic and good for the gut), which is SO much yummier than the store bought stuff. Soak 3tbs of chia, in 1 cup of water overnight (or at least a couple hours so they are all plumped up) Then stir in a cup of Kombucha, or favorite juice.
10. Coffee Coconut Chocolate Chia Pudding:
This is my new favorite and what I will be sharing with you today
½ cup of your favorite brewed and chilled coffee
½ cup canned coconut milk or coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or a small piece of vanilla bean
1-2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup (or sweetener of choice, or not at all)
1 tablespoon cacao powder (not the same as cocoa powder although that will work as well, cacao is considered a super food and has more antioxidant flavonoids than any other food found yet)
¼-1/3 cup chia seeds depending on how thick you want it.
Optional: Add 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut butter
Add 1 tablespoon hempseed for more protein or try maca powder for extra energy.
- Mix up brewed coffee, coconut milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and cacao.
- Place into a jar with a lid then add chia seeds. Seal jar and shake.
- Keep in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3 hours.